MBDC is happy to share the latest result of our long-standing collaboration with L’Oréal USA — Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Goddess Strength Shampoo and Conditioner from Carol’s Daughter. The achievement marks the first Mass Market hair care line to achieve Silver level of the program, the world’s most advanced, science-based standard for designing and making products for the Circular Economy.
Carol’s Daughter announced the certification as part of their Earth Day celebrations, showing how Cradle to Cradle’s multi-attribute framework encompasses all areas of their commitment to beneficial design for humans and the environment.
- Material Health: Neither the shampoo nor conditioner contains carcinogenic, mutagenic or reproductively toxic (CMR) assessed chemicals in a form that may result in plausible exposure
- Material Reutilization: The products are sourced from renewable and biodegradable ingredients
- Renewable Energy and Carbon Management: The Goddess Strength shampoo and conditioner are produced with 100% renewable electricity
- Water Stewardship: Responsible water practices are in place for production
- Social Fairness: Carol’s Daughter has practices in place during design and production which protect workers and communities
“When I started making hair care products in my kitchen, I paid close attention to the impact the products had on the earth and have continued to use ingredients that are safe and natural for our consumers and the environment,” said Carol’s Daughter founder Lisa Price. “We have been and remain deeply committed to building a better world at every brand touchpoint and strive to make our impact a positive one.”
Through the assessment process, MBDC and Carol’s Daughter identified many of the products’ benefits, including reaching Gold level standards in material reutilization, social fairness and renewable energy and carbon management.
“Carol’s Daughter’s recent certifications signify value for customers and the environment,” said MBDC President Jay Bolus. “It is wonderful to see a mass hair care brand embracing Cradle to Cradle Design to go beyond reducing harm and instead creating products which are beneficial for humans and the environment.”
Interested in learning more about Cradle to Cradle Certified™ as the gold standard certification for personal care products? Contact us!